Saturday 19 July 2008

Annoying Things Fans Do To Me – Nkem Owoh



Nkem Owoh is a star and there is no controversy over that. Starting out as a script writer, the engineer from Enugu State is sitting pretty on top of his career and game. He took us on a journey into the innermost recess of his life. Enjoy…
ENCOMIUM: What is the meaning of your song I go chop your dollar?
NKEM OWOH: I go chop your Dollar is theme music of a film I did, which was a big misunderstanding. The title of the film is The Master where I played the role of a drug baron. I got a lot of threat. I extracted the theme music because people said the song was nice and everyone is complaining as if I was the head of 419, I will sing such.
ENCOMIUM: Many people feel the song will dent the country’s image and promote cyber crime?
NKEM OWOH: It is the people who feel inferior already. In US, people sing worst things but nobody pays attention. Now, it came from one Nigerian and everyone is complaining. I don’t like 419 and I want to fight it.
ENCOMIUM: We never knew you to be a musician.
NKEM OWOH: In fact, I don’t know what I will do tomorrow, but there is something about creativity. If you follow the line of creativity, you will find out that music, drama and sports go together. You will see musicians go into acting, actors going into singing. They are interrelated. Why people noticed this is because I now brought it out as music. After all, I have been doing all the theme music for my films.
ENCOMIUM: What were you doing before you started acting?
NKEM OWOH: I am an Engineer by certificate. I worked with WAPCO Engineering, but I can’t say before I started acting professionally. I have worked with both radio and TV. I started my career in the entertainment industry, as a script writer. A lot of people didn’t know that many of the episodes of Masquerade was written by me. I was writing the whole script of Basi and Company because at a time Ken Saro Wiwa couldn’t write again. When I was working on TV, I was doing TV drama and I was popular in Enugu. I now found out that it’s like I have humour in me, because even when I talk, people laugh. They advised me not to stay behind the camera.

No comments: